"Vermont's Year Round Diversified CSA Farm"

You can eat fresh vegetables, and pasture-raised & grassfed meats from our farm YEAR ROUND!


Monday, February 06, 2006

Greenhouse Gods


Framers Blues: Framers not Farmers. Actually I shouldn't feel too blue as the weather has been nice to work in (40 F in Vermont in February!). Still grinding away on framing the ends of our greenhouse. Worked with the wife and she came up with a nice design that allowed us to use a - barely enough length- section of 1x10 to put on the peak. I think she just won the geometry teacher role for our new boy!

I have been framing with material bought from a pile of rough cut hemlock lumber ( 10 to 12ft sections of 2x10) that I purchased years ago from a neighboring garage sale. The garage sale was in the garage, but I asked what might be in the shed and lo-and-behold their was a jumbled pile of misc. lumber. I made an offer then waded in to sort out the goods. It has been sitting in our barn for about 5 years. Most of it is knotty so not great for woodworking (side hobby of mine) but its good enough for framing. I have been ripping the 8inch wide boards in half on the bandsaw. Kind of hurts to do that, but cheaper than driving and buying 2x4s at the local hardware store. I did find a nice 10 inch wide, 10ft section with only a few knots. I am saving that one out for making windsor chair seats.

So we completed one end (the bidness end) of the greenhouse, and got a good start on the back end. Still need to put on the greenhouse plastic, hang the heater, hook up the propane, and do the wiring. I'm not too worried - the wife still hasn't ordered the seeds yet!

2 comments:

Lucy said...

Good luck on your building project. My husband and i just bought a farm after over a decade of renting land.

like you we are building (and destroying) all sorts of things like greenhouses, animal pens.

Please post more often, your CSA members will thank you

check out my blog http://boulerbelt.blogspot.com

jericho farmer said...

Thanks Lucy, Glad you could buy a farm. We rent land from my in-laws. Quite expensive to buy land where we are in Vermont!

I just loaded a photo of the greenhouse frame.

soil salud!
Mark
Jericho Settlers' Farm
Jericho, Vermont